<VV> Oil temp

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sun Nov 8 00:38:29 EST 2015

yeah, that was part of the exchange I chimed in on.

Water pumpers are different - most of the oil going to a head has to
drool back into the pan via engine surfaces that have coolant between
them and the combustion process. Those surfaces should be pretty much at
coolant temp. I bet that's where most oil cooling happens in a water
pumper - flowing over surfaces that are at coolant temp.

In Corvairs, there aren't any temperature-controlled surfaces to flow
the oil over. I imagine the pushrod tubes provide some cooling, but
maybe not much,  since they see air that's coming from the head and
barrels. That's why you need oil coolers, and why the factory provided them.

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal

---