<VV> Oil temp

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Nov 8 15:47:23 EST 2015

In a message dated 11/7/2015 5:57:02 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

 (https://wiki.answers.com/Q/User:Rdrsh)
Answer  by  _Brian  Mette_ (https://wiki.answers.com/Q/User:Rdrsh)
CONFIDENCE  VOTES73.5K
I am a ASE and Chrysler certified master technician with  over 17 years
experience working at a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep  dealer.
Engines  vary. The normal operating temperature for a modern (e.g., 1996+)
automobile  engine, manufactured for sale or use in the US, will fall
between 200  and 250 degrees F. Smog equipment and computerized combustion control
 favor a 'hotter' running engine. The proper amount and concentration of
coolant  in your engine will protect it.
The thermostat plays a big part in  controlling it. If you buy a 185 degree
thermostat it opens at 185 degrees. Same  with a 195 & so on. Average
engine temp (as no specific given) would be  around 195 - 205 degrees. The
cooling fans come on around 210 degrees approx.  The temperature will vary
according to driving conditions, ambient temperature  etc..
Some newer engines will run in the 220 to 230 deg range.

According to Castrol ideal oil temperatures for conventional oil  220-240
> F.  For synthetic the temps are 220-280 F.  Below  these low temps, the
> water and fuel in the oil does not  evaporate.  One pound of gasoline
> produces one pound of  water.  Cars with chokes always add considerable
fuel
> to the oil  when the chokes are on.  The high recommend oil temps limit is
>  where the additives in the oil start to evaporate.  Base oil  stock
> degradation begins at significantly higher temperatures.
>  Jim Davis

In a message dated 10/30/2015 8:26:32 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,