<VV> piston question

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Thu Oct 15 11:10:40 EDT 2015

Since I am the mechanic taking this thing apart, I would have to say it IS 21,000 original miles.  Evidence for that fact is that there is NO wear to speak of on the piston skirts.  ALMOST NONE!  And the jugs show almost NO wear either!  And neither do the lifters.  Then factor in all the original type gaskets that are still there.  (Well, not anymore.)  You know, the old "paper" type that weld themselves onto things so tightly that you literally need a case of TNT to remove them!  It even had the original type  'national' rear housing oil seal complete with part number stamped on the edge. And the neoprene push rod tube O-rings. Then there are the original paint swipes on the block, diff, and trans that look like the factory ones I've seen.  Oh yeah, and how could I forget the like new input shaft!  After all that, I'd definitely say it is an original 21,000 mile engine.  Now my question would have to be what does anyone know about the factory installing oversize pistons in brand new engines?  From all of this, it looks like they did.  But what is the 'official' view?

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
Hopewell, PA