<VV> 8 plate oil cooler side shield question

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Oct 28 22:59:15 EDT 2015

That is, of course, why we actually run the horse race! I have heard the
argument on both sides of the folded fin vs. the 12 plate cooler many times.
If  both are brand new, or at least spotlessly clean, they probably have
about the  same cooling capacity. But I can tell you, having opened up dozens
of Corvair  motors and unearthed the oil coolers, the 12 plate still retains
its cooling  capacity and many - if not most - folded fins are way below
their capacity  because of the tiny passages which get clogged up. If you
promise to keep your  engine nice and clean (and that is why Chevy installed that
removable cover) and  your engine is already equipped with an 8-plate,
12-plate or a folded fin  unit, just clean it up and motor on. I would not go
from a good 12-plate to a  folded fin (but maybe from an 8-plate). It would
involve air-plumbing changes  too. If you have any of the plate-type coolers
off, go ahead and add the side  shields when you re-install it. GM thought
enough of them to put them on the A/C  cars. - Seth Emerson

In a message dated 10/28/2015 1:08:54 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,