<VV> Subject: Re: Nice Article to outweigh all the Nader-inspired drivel

Jim Simpson simpsonj at verizon.net
Sun Sep 13 17:37:05 EDT 2015

'67 - '69 Corvairs had side marker lights front and rear; that makes them
easy to distinguish from the '65 & '66.  The seats were change in '67 as
well -- the thinner seats with headrests are also easy to spot.

'65 had unique, one-year, tail light lenses.  Early '66 had a new style
with the so-called "wedding band" thin trim band around the center
reflectors.  There was a running change in about November or December of
'65 ('66 cars had been in production since about September) that put a
wider trim ring around the center reflector.  I'm not sure if there's any
official documented reason for the change -- it may be that the trim rings
fell off easily (although I've never see it and I've had an early
production '66 since 1968) or it may be that they just changed suppliers.

The other major distinguishing external changes were in trim pieces.  As
already noted, the nose trim changed from red paint to blue.  The wheel
well trim was made significantly thinner and changed in profile from a
fairly round cross section to a much more square cross section.  And the
rocker panel trim "spear" changed profile as well going from sort of an
oval to a more sculpted cross section.

Other than hub caps, I'm not sure there were any external changes between
'67 and '69 so they're hard to tell apart.

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair