<VV> Rebuilt 4-sp - no synchro on 2nd!

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 22:37:18 EDT 2016

A followup on my problem with no synchro on 2nd gear after rebuilding my 4-sp early transmission. Thanks for Joel and Chuck making suggestions. I was carefully measuring and experimenting with the disassembled transmission from my (slow) project car to determine the effect of broken springs or incorrect short blocker ring installation. Then I took another test drive in the problem car to verify the symptoms. This time it was even worse as I could not shift it while moving, even when double-clutching.
Then today, I drove it on an errand and was able to double-clutch it both for upshifts and down. Then I tried shifting without stepping on the clutch at all, and that worked (I still remembered the routine from my first Corvair, which I drove for 2 weeks with no clutch cable). Then I tried just shifting it normally, and it works!
I attribute this happy outcome to the power of prayer!
I am still baffled as to what was wrong and what changed. The only thing I can think of is some particle got between the blocker ring and gear cone preventing good contact/friction, and it eventually washed away. Any ideas? -- Doug Mackintosh Corsa member since 1996 Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on