<VV> clutch help, please

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 00:41:03 EDT 2016

The car i'm working on is a '65 coupe.  (Not mine)  It now has a '66 diff & '66 4spd.  When attempting to set up and adjust the clutch this evening the first thing I noticed was that the cross-shaft bracket on the car DID NOT look like the one in the '65 shop manual.  Ergo, there is nowhere to attach the clutch return spring.  Also, the "inboard lever" is to be located 7/8" from the "trans cross-member."  At this point I decided to to take a look at the '66 supplement.  The cross shaft bracket drawn there matched the one on the car.  And it even showed a bracket for the clutch return spring!  However, it showed the "inboard lever" is to be located 3/8" from the trans cross-member.  So, it looks like I have a '66 clutch set-up in a '65 car.  I would gather that fact means I should use the 3/8" distance as opposed to the 7/8" one, and locate a '66 return spring bracket to solve that problem, right?  And one last thing- in both manuals it says "Tension clutch cable rod assembly to 15 lbs......"    So, how exactly, does a backyard mechanic like myself accomplish this feat?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions, please.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook