<VV> seepage

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Wed Aug 10 21:11:07 EDT 2016

On 8/10/2016 5:09 PM, James Weppelman via VirtualVairs wrote:
> I strongly disagree with the non-permatex people. I have used the permatex product "right stuff" for years on all different kinds of gaskets. if you lay a bead down just on a hard surface, let it dry, then try to pull it apart. Its a far cry from the old "blue goo". If the stuff is so bad, why do most new cars have no gaskets, just sealer and rubber(some type) of O-ring style gaskets. Oh you don't see many new cars "marking there territory" either.

I'm not sure about the "no gaskets" thing - certainly GM's 3800 uses
gaskets. Also, VW's older 4-speed automatic does on its pan.
They got smart in a number of places, and went to a thick silicone or
neoprene gaskets with metal inserts - this lets you cinch the bolts down
on the spacers, putting just the right preload on the "gasket". Those
don't need sealer at all.
In a few places, where multiple surfaces come together (inlet manifolds
on V-6, for example, or pan gaskets) they recommend sealer in those
corners and edges where it would be tough to guarantee that a gasket or
seal would do the job.

And- if a nice thick cork or rubber gasket does the job, I'm just as
happy not to use goop on it.
jay

--
Jay Maechtlen