<VV> 66 A/C Question

Garry geparsley at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 17 21:14:48 EDT 2016

Hi all,

Questions for all the A/C gurus out there. My 66 110hp/pg Monza with
factory A/C won't cool. The system was disconnected, but still sealed,
with pressure, for  few years, and I am slowly putting it back together.
Tonight was final recharge night. Pulled a successful vacuum last night,
which held, and added a charge, and got not cooling, but it was too late
to continue the diagnostics. I wanted to finish charging tonight. The
ambient temp is approx. 78 degrees, and my static pressure was 80psi. I
don't have a 66 service manual, so I tried the numbers in the 65 manual.
At approx. 2000 rpm, with the deck lid closed, I get 20 on the low and
130 on the high. Bumping just a few seconds of charge raised the numbers
to 24/145. Output temp is at 80 degrees, so nothing yet. If I increase
the pressure to about 40/200 the clutch begins to squeal. I see what
looks like white liquid, fairly solid in the sight glass (could be
bubbles?), but not sure exactly what pressure I should see at this
outside temp. I did find the two seals on the condenser are missing, so
I'll replace those tomorrow, and the deck lid seal is good, but I'm sure
there are probably some small leaks around the engine seal - oh and the
summer/winter plate is missing. Other than the obvious things mentioned
- any ideas? I've been out of the R-12 world for way too many years.

Garry Parsley