<VV> 66 A/C Question

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Aug 17 23:55:52 EDT 2016

Notes:

1. Engine compartment must be sealed up on 66, 67 models. Tape rust
holes! That worked for me...

2. Remove backup lamp assembly and run hoses through the hole, tape
openings closed.

3. Sight glass should run clear when the charge is enough (or too
much!), while compressor is running.

4. White bubbles usually means not enough R-12 yet. How many pounds have
you put in? Note, some cans are only 12 ounces. System holds about 4.5
pounds.

5. Tighten the belt. 200 psi is nothing in high temperatures. If it is
squealing at 200 psi, something is wrong, start with loose belt. There
is a reason there are so many braces on the old A-6 compressor. Clutch
should easily handle 350 psi, but hope you never see that. If it slips
at 200 psi, it is bad.

6. I do not have a set of gauges in front of me, but the low pressure
side should run about 35 degrees F. , whatever pressure equals that on
the gauge face. Anything lower than 35 and the evaporator can freeze up.
Or so.... AT least the center dash outlet should not be below 35 degrees
F. Shoot for high 30s to 40.

7. Temperature is actually controlled by thermostat cycling the
compressor, but the charge has to be near correct for that to operate
properly.

8. The rubber seals on top and bottom of condenser are very important.
So is taking the condenser off the firewall and cleaning all the
leaves/junk out from behind it. Also blow through the condenser to clean
the fins. And comb the fins where they usually get flattened.

9. If you run the compressor with the engine lid open, pressure will get
too high and rupture a hose or worse. Note, this can cause blindness if
refrigerant gets in your eyes.

10. Old seat of pants rule, if sight glass runs clear with compressor
on, then bubbles form about 2-5 seconds after compressor cycles off,
charge is fine.

11. If center outlet temperature is high, low pressure is high, and
sight glass does not get bubbles after compressor shuts off, system is
overcharged. Hopefully you never get that far.

Others may have different rules or observations...

Frank DuVal