<VV> Carb problem - any ideas?

shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 23 23:06:35 EDT 2016

Look to see if someone drilled a hole for the air cleaner's j-hook in an earlier carb. The tell-tale will be the two holes for the bale clip that the earlier individual air cleaners used. The earlier carb tops were hollow in that area...
Sent from my LG Mobile
------ Original message------From: Kinzelman, Andy via VirtualVairs Date: Mon, Aug 22, 2016 7:06 PMTo: virtualvairs at corvair.org;Cc: Subject: Carb problem - any ideas?
Guys,Helping out an older gentleman with a 64 Monza vert - tweaking the carbs.  When I blocked off the driver's side carb a very noticeable vacuum leak occurs.  I couldn't isolate it's location; so took off the carb to check it out.  The base gaskets and insulator looked OK.There appeared to be remnants of an old gasket between the top & bottom of the carb, so I disassembled, cleaned the gasket surfaces, and inspected the parts.  The top of the carb seemed straight; so I reassembled with a new gasket and re-installed it.There was no obvious change to the leak.The vacuum balance tube hose looks OK.The carb shaft doesn't seem worn.I called a friend of mine; he said he'd seen the plug opposite the vacuum balance port fall out.The next time I go out I plan to bring a stethoscope (or hose) to try to locate the problem.  I'll also bring a spare carb.Anybody have any other ideas to check?Thanks,Andy K.Wisconsin _______________________________________________This message was sent by the Virt
 ualVairs mailing list, all copyrights are the propertyof the writer, please attribute properly. For help, mailto:vv-help at corvair.orgThis list sponsored by the Corvair Society of America, http://www.corvair.org/Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.orgChange your options: http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairsArchives: http://www.vv.corvair.org/archive.htm _______________________________________________