<VV> Oooops............... )-:

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Sun Feb 21 14:52:47 EST 2016

Just for people like you!!! ggg

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio

http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Hook via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
To: virtualvairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Sun, Feb 21, 2016 11:46 am
Subject: <VV> Oooops............... )-:

I have a question:  What is the purpose of the two holes in the cam gear?  The reason i'm asking is this:   imagine my surprise, when, after draining the kerosene from the bowl in which I had been soaking the nuts and bolts from the engine, I look down and what do I see?... the two oil gallery pipe plugs previously removed at the bottom of a bowl !!!!   The reason for the surprise is this:  the crank and cam, bell housing, and clutch assembly were just installed!!!  Crap.  I saw I had to remove the clutch assembly and bell housing, but what about the cam gear?  Egad---- will I have to split the crankcase again just to move that huge cam gear out of the way to gain access to the oil galleries?  I was really sweating the load until I removed the bell housing.  Then I saw the two holes in the cam gear.  I was really elated to find that one of them lined up with the oil gallery holes.  This same hole was also the only one that was big enough to allow the pipe plugs to pass thru.  Phew!!!  I was spared from having to split the crankcase again to gain access to the holes. Was it just a coincidence that the hole in the cam gear allowed access to the oil gallery holes?  Or is there another purpose for them?  Inquiring minds want to know.   Randy (Cap'n) Hook Hopewell, PA