<VV> LM Rear Axle:Caps and races different lengths on same U-joint?

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Jul 27 22:18:31 EDT 2016

Half-shaft are the same length.  65 yokes use 1"-28 grade 8 cap screws
and straps to anchor the universal's caps.   66-9 use 5/16-24 grade 8
washer head cap screws and slightly different straps to anchor the
universal's caps.  All Corvair universal joints are 1310 size (3.129"
width and 1.062" cap diameter).  The heavy duty U-joints have smaller
diameter and longer needle bearings.   Best to attach the rear
suspension and drive shafts with the drive train about 6" lower than its
installed position this eliminates the angle of the bolts in the strut
rods and allows the best guess to toe-in setting. Sometimes it is
necessary to use a "come-a-long" around the shock mounting points on the
trailing arms to overcome the splay caused heavy duty springs, but
usually this is not necessary with stock springs.
Jim Davis