<VV> Corvair starter Grinding.

Jerry Brown air_cooled63 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 19:10:10 EDT 2016

I to have had a problem with a Corvair starter making a bad grinding noise when engaging the starter.  Took all the plugs out to do a compression check and the starter engaged fine.  However I am going to install another starter to see what happens.  Then if that starter does ok I'm going to change the solenoid on the original starter, every other thing has been changed but that, and see what it does then.  It been too hot and humid here to do much outside work during the day.  I've been getting up at 6 AM to beat the heat some.   Would a broken crankshaft cause that grinding?  Engine was lock up due to a valve seat coming out. That was repaired by another head.  Jerry Brown