<VV> OEM Style Corvair regulator availability

Seth Emerson sethracer at outlook.com
Sun Jul 31 15:36:40 EDT 2016

Jerry Brown wrote:

The 1963 Corvair came with a generator, however, some where along the line some one could have changed over to an alternator. Any case it appears that the generator or alternator and respective regulators may be bad showing around 13 volts.  If it's a generator the brushes may be worn out or you could have a bad generator.  Troubleshooting  is required by a person knowing what to do to determine what is the problem. I just fixed a friend's  alternator system. He wanted to stay original so I purchased an alternator from The Advance store for a 1965 Chevy Impala 327 engine (same alternator as for Corvair 65-69, except for the front frame), changed  the front frame from the corvair to it and also replaced the the regulator with a new one. Worked great. Output  voltage was 14.32.

So Seth writes
 I received a "press release" a couple of months ago about a new product.  It is a replacement mechanical regulator built as a replacement for the GM regulators used on our Corvairs (and other same-era GM cars). I am not selling these, just pointing out that there are GM Authorized replacement parts available. I am including a photo and their info. Please note, There may be more than one type of logo used on the GM regulators back in the 60s. The photo shows how their new one appears. If yours is different, and you want to maintain the "look", you can probably remove your old cover, paint it and move it over. It should be plug and play, if you are retaining the old-style external regulator alternator..
The company is "OER   P.O. Box 12049    Westminster,  CA   92683" www.OERparts.com<http://www.OERparts.com>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D1EB27.AC2569C0]
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D1EB27.AC2569C0]