<VV> PG installation problem

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 16:43:13 EDT 2016

 I Replaced the torque converter due to a poor starter ring. 1966 4 dr. Now I cannot get the bell housing to completely mate up to the transaxle flange.
 It stops exactly 5/8 of an inch from mating and when pulled back very little and pushed forward the engine stops with a solid thud. Like something is not alighted inside the transaxle.
 What the heck am I doing wrong?  Same transaxle and same bell housing.
I need help regardless even if you are just guessing.