<VV> Serious Engine Problem

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Tue Jun 14 01:14:29 EDT 2016

'66 140 PG Very strong rebuilt engine
?To set the situation, I initially thought that the starter/torque converter
interface was bad, as the starter sometimes did not engage the torque
converter ring properly. After two starters and a?Clarks rebuilt TQ, the
problem still exists.
?Sometimes the starter "seems" to work fine and the engine starts and runs
smoothly.?Other time the starter engages OK and then runs very slowly for a
second. The starter then STALLS and I have to pull the negative cable off to
prevent a fire.
?Is there something in the PG transaxle that can be starting to shift out of
position to jam the starter to the ring? The TQ fits directly on the
crankshaft for those who do not do PG.
?Tomorrow I'll loosen the starter to get it out of the ring.
Smitty Says;  No guarantees on this of course, but it sounds suspiciously
like a starter with a bent shaft or real bad bearings.  These situations
allow the armature core to come very close to the field cores.  When the
armature is rotated to just the right position the magnatism snatches the
armature sideways into contact with the frame.  The drag then is greater
than the rotational force.  If this is the case you will find drag marks on
one side of the armature and on the frame cores.