<VV> What would make #1 distributor tower not fire?

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Wed Mar 16 14:05:31 EDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

From: Doug Mackintosh <dougmackintosh at yahoo.com>
To: Virtual Vairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Subject: Re: <VV> What would make #1 distributor tower not fire?

To my request for help concerning my daughter's Spyder #1 distributor tower not firing, thank you all who responded with suggestions. I followed Frank DuVal's advice to check the point gap on #1 lobe, then measure the other 5. I found that there was a large variation between the gap at each of the 6 positions (0.004 to 0.017). What I have done for now is finesse the gap setting to hit the sweet spot where all 6 are firing and I have enough dwell to prevent cutout under hard acceleration. I am thinking a rebuilt distributor is in my future, once I hit the lottery. At this point it is running well enough to keep me on the road.?-- Doug Mackintosh Corsa member since 1996 Corsa/NC member since 1996 , Virtual Vairs member Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on

Wow. Gotta remember that one.

Did you happen to measure the dwell?

Dan T