<VV> Mr. Nader DID mention Corvair's "impaling" steering column; Was: 25 worst cars of all time

james davis jld at wk.net
Sun Nov 27 13:56:40 EST 2016

Yep, the wheel does move.  I was driving my wife's 62 Monza convertible
on a Sunday in 1965 (our my first wedding anniversar), when I hit a 1963
Biscayne in the right front wheel doing about 45 mph.  I shortened the
car by 20" so that the end of front bumper punctured the left front
tire.  The steering wheel was at a 60 degree to the centerline of the
car, out of the column about 12" and with the left edge of the steering
wheel flush with the front window. I spun the Biscayne around so that
it's rear hit the Monza's left cylinder head cracking the head and
destroying the carb.  Luckly no fire but just the smell of gas. The gas
tank did not rupture but was forced nearly to the ground under the car.

The car was repaired at a cost of $2,000 even though the Blue Book
wholesale was $1,750.  We traded tha car on March 3, 1965 for the 1965
Corsa convertible which she still drives (318,000 miles).
Jim Davis