<VV> 65 CorvairPG pinion gear.

james davis jld at wk.net
Fri Oct 28 13:27:07 EDT 2016

Extreemely common on UltraVans and FCs.  I had three spun pinions in my
UltraVan over 188,000 miles.  The current theory is that forced
downshifts at full throttle is the primary cause.  Of this is only one
explanition.  Walt Davison was of the opinion that the pinion gear and
shaft were married at the factory and do not take kindly to divorce.  I
have spun two pinions in my Rampside over the last 35 years.  Both were
where the pinion was swapped onto different a shaft.  My Rampside works
for a living often flat towing other Corvairs or hauling a 3,000 lb
loaded trailer.
Jim Davis