<VV> Fw: 1969 clutch cable

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 14:24:11 EDT 2016

FYI  Thanks to all who responded. Please see attached pictures.

 The end of the threaded rod hits the transmission case not allowing the swivel to adjust to the lever. I cut about 1" off the threaded end and looks like a fine fit. Remember a '69  lever is not adjusted to 7/8"  but 3/8" per the book. Trans case needs a bit of detailing.

      From: Jim Becker <mr.jebecker at gmail.com>

Michael,I measured some new cables.  The ‘69 style  measured 93 1/8 from the threaded end to the center of the hole in the swivel.  A ‘65-‘68 style was slightly shorter, at 93 1/8 to the end of the ball (not the bit of cable that stuck through).  The ball is 3/8 diameter, making the cable effectively 3/16 shorter.  I then checked an earlier ‘65-‘68 style (no reinforcing where the earlier ones always broke) and found it very slightly shorter, maybe 1/4 of the ball diameter, less than 1/8 inch.  So either they grew a little over time or  there was some variation in how they were made.  I wouldn’t think 1/4 total variation should make much of a problem.  Is there any chance the drive train is a bit forward of the normal position?  They all had 2 inches of threads on the rear end. By the way, these were all NOS cables, no repros. Jim Becker From: Michael Kovacs Sent: Friday, September 02, 2016 6:17 PMTo: Jim Becker Subject: Re: <VV> Fw: 1969 clutch cable Jim, Thanks.
Clutch action was just fine for the 8,000 miles I put on it since my restoration in the early 80s.
   Cross shaft just fine. The PO squeezed closed the attachment for the 69 style swivel so they could trap the ball in it.
 Seeing how the bottom of the car is still open, I think I'll measure the old and new cables just for a data point.