<VV> Old Time Corvair Mechanic

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 23:41:33 EDT 2016

Steve - Just a note. Replacing valve seats was not a common "upgrade" in
the 80s. Even today, only if one seat has dropped, or an engine is being
built for heavy duty or racing use, would the seats be replaced. V8s from 60s
and 70s has soft valve seats in their cast iron heads, so operating them on
unleaded fuel was a problem, so hardened seats were sometimes installed..
But  Corvairs have always had hard seats and never required replacement due
to  "recession" of the seats. That is the same reason the Corvair motor
doesn't need  leaded gas. (Just the octane!) - Seth Emerson

In a message dated 9/16/2016 8:05:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,