<VV> Adjusting front drum brakes on '62

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Thu Apr 13 22:32:29 EDT 2017

I need to adjust the front brakes on my 62 Monza coupe. This hop manual
says to use the adjusting hole on the brake flange to access the adjusting
screw. However on my Corvair the brake flanges still have the metal
knockout plug in place. What options are there to remove these plugs? I
don't want to just take a hammer and possible damage the brake flange?

Thanks

I'm 99% sure your '62  has "self-adjusting" brakes...    just back up 10 ft. and slam on the brakes... then drive forward  10 ft and slam on the brakes....repeat until the pedal  stops rising... or if you can hear the clickings..... when they stop...    Park brake should hold with 5 clicks..pulling.

If the car is darting / pulling to one side when you brake.....  pull the drum on the opposite wheel!  That's the one not working!

The old wives tale about out of adjustment causing that...defies the laws of physics....  Hydraulic pressure has to be equal on all 4 wheels  before  any one brake applies!..so it doesn't matter where the adjustment is....  only of the shoe is worn out..or  a  wheel cylinder is frozen...

 Hope this helps..

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio