<VV> What am I looking at?

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Aug 2 22:36:01 EDT 2017

A typical run hard and put up wet Corvair engine!

Here in the rusty east (and you are here) it is not unusual for most of
the upper head studs to unscrew before the nuts are loose.  I've put
many an upper stud in a vise to remove the nuts. And then put the stud
back in. As long as they hold torque, they will be fine. if not,
Helicoil (or other brand). Do be aware if the upper studs screw in to
the point of sticking into the inside of the crankcase, these long
stroke (164 cu in) cranks will beat them with the rod bolts. not good!

Not unusual for everything to be covered in oil when the original
Neoprene O-rings bit the dust.

All original heads are about 50 years old. NONE should be trusted for
use without installing new deep seats.

Measure the cylinders to see what shape (literal shape, egg shaped
inside or out) they are in. They are very durable from heat, bad oil
wears them out.

Heads stick all the time. Studs are not always straight. Typical worn
engine.

Nothing you listed would make me run away from what I normally do. Check
all parts for wear. Sure it can be scrap, but without analyzing the
parts, how would you know? More important is to acurately measure the
bore of the cylinders, diameter of the crank and guess at the surface of
the cam.

Frank DuVal