<VV> How much Gear Lube in Manual Transmission & Transaxle ?

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Fri Aug 4 01:39:42 EDT 2017

My anecdotal test of transaxle capacity:

The Rampside with a 140/4-speed had Gear Lube polluted with water in the
Transmission & Transaxle.

So, I drained it all out using the plugs at the lowest points in each, which
left a tiny bit it the bottom of each?

This car did not have a fill tube up above, so I improved by running 3' of
3/8" fuel line up into the engine compartment.

I had thought it would oil would flow from the diff to the trans but when I
filled the diff until it dripped from the fill port it had taken slightly
less than 2 quarts.

I then I filled the trans at its fill port until it started to drip from the
fill port and it took slightly 1 1/2 quarts.

So, accounting for about 1/2 quart that did not drain out it appears to have
a total capacity of about 4 quarts?

Not very scientific, but pretty close to what we'd expect?

PS: The car was level so it would be better to raise the back to drain more
out?

Charles Lee