<VV> Wire Wheels Need tubes?

Hugo Miller Hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Thu Aug 31 10:11:16 EDT 2017

### Are you sure they didn't say you can't use tubes in TUBELESS tires?
There's nothing against using tubes in radials, and while some have said you
shouldn't put tubes in tubeless tires, because the inner surface of the tire
is too rough,  I think that is more myth than fact. I would be more
concerned about the tube chafing on the rubberized material in the wheel
rim, which is not very smooth. Motorcycles with laced wheels always used to
use a rubber rim tape to cover the spoke nipples and seal against leaks.
What I would do is inflate the tire & hold the wheel+tire under water to see
where the leak is. It might just need a dab of sealant in one spot, or you
might investigate fitting a rim tape if there are multiple leaks.
For what it's worth, I just bought a set of wire wheels from Clarks - their
last set I believe - but I haven't fitted tires to them yet. Let's hope mine
seal better than yours!
Finally, the set I bought were for the later Corvair with five-stud wheel
fixings. That is all Clarks had left. My car is an early type with four
studs, so I bought a set of universal adaptors on ebay to fit. Which means I
now have a brand new set of five-stud wire wheel adaptors sitting in my
garage in Florida - if anybody wants them, make me an offer;
Hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk.