<VV> Monza clock

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Mon Feb 27 21:53:56 EST 2017

Here are some of my thoughts, but I have not checked a schematic, so I
could be wrong with this information.  You will need to take the clock
apart to see if you can repair it yourself.

I believe these are relatively easy to repair.   Usually it is the
points that are burned and do not function.   These have a set of points
and an electromagnet that pulls and "winds" the clock for several
minutes until the spring winds down and the points touch connecting the
electromagnet to 12 volts repeating the cycle.   The auto companies went
cheap and normally did not have a points condensor (capacitor) to absorb
the electric spark formed by the collapsing electromagnetic field.
Small diodes were not available cheap back then and are usually a better
way to prevent the spark from burning the points.

See if you can manually pull the spring to wind the clock and if it then
runs for several minutes before stopping.   If so, then you might be
able to file the points and add a condensor or catch diode circuit.
The diode would be across the points and point toward 12 volts positive.

Another approach would be to replace the mechanical mechanism with a
modern electric clock module.   I do not recommend doing this as it will
ruin a possibly repairable clock and it will also be obvious that
without the "click" every several minutes that the clock is not stock.

Good luck,

Larry