<VV> heater blower cage repair

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Tue Jan 24 14:30:13 EST 2017

Had this issue about 3 years ago and sent this note to Corvair Phorum:
The center hub on the squirrel cage is a "pinch" fit. You need to place the hub on a surface that supports the edge of the hub piece from below and then go around the edge from the top with a drift or something hard and smack that with the hammer, moving around the circle to get it to stay put. Otherwise, that nice new motor you put in will simply snap it loose on start-up and it will make loud rattling sounds and not move air. Trust me on this. Removing the blower motor is something I like to do only once.
There is a metal replacement available that is close to the right size. You can get it from oreilly and others. While it is not an exact replacement, its only about 1/4 inch shorter and it works fine. Siemens number BW9302, Four Seasons 35602. I dont know what car it fits, the old guy at Oreillys took me back in the stacks and said its one of these 4. We opened each and compared it to the original, this one was as close as could be and the best news..its only 11 bucks!! Do a test fit on the shaft of the motor, I cant remember which way it goes, but if it is too low or high, it rubs. Just takes a minute to figure out.

Autozone has it under a VDO part number - VDO9302 for 12.99.  Probably have to get it from the warehouse, but it shows In Stock for home delivery.