<VV> Fake 64 Spyder on Ebay

William Hubbell wjhubbell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 20:54:01 EDT 2017

From 1962-63, the Spyder package was an option added to the Monza trim level (900 series), and so there was no easy way to distinguish a factory Monza from a factory Monza Spyder by the VIN alone.  You could, however, look at the options on the Fisher Body Plate and figure it out (1962 Willow Run Spyders had a "D" Accessory Code, and 1962 Oakland Spyders had an "X" Accessory Code.  1963 Willow Run Spyder had a "C" Accessory Code in Group 3, whereas 1963 Oakland Spyders still had an "X" Accessory Code).

However, all this changed in 1964, as the Monza Spyder became a separate Model number (600 series), whereas all other Monzas were still the 900 series.  There was no option to "add" the Spyder package to a 1964 Monza.   Because the Model number designated the Spyder body, there was no separate Fisher Body Accessory code in 1964, but the Fisher Tag would have shown the Model number in the "Style" section.

The car he is selling has this VIN: "40927W207699", which identifies it as a Monza (900 series), but not a Spyder (600 series.   For this to be a genuine 1964 Spyder the VIN would have to be "40627W207699"

Also, the Fisher Tag for this car shows the "Style" as: "64 0927", which identifies it as a 1964 Monza Coupe.   If it were actually a 1964 Monza Spyder Coupe, the Style number should be: "64 0627".

Thus, this car is obviously a Monza which somebody "converted" to Spyder appearance but it cannot legally be represented or sold as a 1964 Spyder.

Bill Hubbell