<VV> How can I tell if my head gasket is bad?

Ignacio Valdes ivaldes at hal-pc.org
Sun Jun 25 01:06:39 EDT 2017

Hi all, I threw a belt and had to drive it awhile to get off of the
freeway. When I stopped it was pretty hot. I replaced the belt and it ran
ok. My valve cover, oil pan, and transmission are slightly seeping oil now.
I am going to replace those gaskets. How can I tell if my engine is truly
cooked and needs new head gaskets? Should I change the push rod tube viton
rings? I have anxiety from past failures of setting the valve gaps
properly. Also my valve cover bolt twisted off leaving a small stump above
the head. How do I get it out?

-- IV