<VV> Better brakes.

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Nov 17 11:19:42 EST 2017

Hi Jim,

First, I wouldn't run full metallic shoes on the street nowadays, they are pretty cold blooded.  Even for track use there are better solutions nowadays.

One thing to keep in mind is that drum brakes will always feel different and probably require a little more force than the "one toe" brakes you find on most cars today.  That's not to say they can't be effective, just that like the rest of the car it will be a somewhat different driving experience.

On our wagon - which I am told gets driven briskly - I set it up with a dual master cylinder and kevlar-metallic shoes from one of the Corvair vendors.  The other detail was going to 1" front wheel cylinders to bias the system more to the front.  We're very happy with the results, it works well even fully loaded on the highway.

--Bryan