<VV> Rear Engine Housing Install

Arlette Pat & Carl Kelsen arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 14 19:35:28 EDT 2017

G’day everyone,
I am about to re-assemble and re-install the following components to our Corvairs engine:

1/ Alternator (Del cotron) adapter.
2/ Rear Engine Housing.

Everything is spotlessly clean and the flat adjoining surfaces are clean, dry and oil free. I am keen to take every possible step to avoid even minor oil leaks and hopefully I will end up with a Corvair engine will no oil leaks. Time will tell!!!

Anyway I wondered what everyone’s view is, when it comes to using or maybe not using gasket sealants? Specifically my questions are:

1/ Should I use gasket sealant or not?
2/ If I should use gasket sealant, then what is considered to be the best sealant for joining flat aluminium surfaces on Chevrolet Corvair air cooled engines?

So far I have attempted to take great care with sealing our cars engine against even the most minor oil leak, and very much want to install our rear housing using the best method and sealant available.

Very keen to hear opinions on this issue.

Regards from Australia ‘down under’
Carl Kelsen
1965 RHD Chevrolet Corvair Monza convertible
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia