<VV> Rear Engine Housing Install

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Oct 14 21:48:37 EDT 2017

Many opinions!

Do not use a lot of RTV anywhere. Especially on that rear housing, where
the excess will go through the oil system until it clogs a small
passage!  Also oil seems to unstick many versions of RTV, letting it
weep anyway if not properly cured. When I applied it to paper gaskets, I
used my fingers to wipe it along the gasket surface, so there was no
excess RTV applied to squeeze out.

I like Permatex High Tack for these paper gaskets. People on the west
coast like Gasgacinch for them. These products are a contact like
cement, and can be applied very thinly (although you will fight
"threads" of this tacky stuff) so there will be no excess to get in
wrong places. I also used spray Copper Coat for paper gaskets with
success.  Same idea, spray and let dry, no excess adhesive to get in
wrong places. Sometimes hard to spray the engine or engine part surface
without overspray.

Old Indian Head Gasket Shellac works, but is rough to get off later!

Hope this helps.

Frank DuVal