<VV> Hard/Harder Brake Test

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Tue Oct 17 12:51:05 EDT 2017

The hard/harder brake test is a valuable check of your braking system and should be performed periodically.  however, I would like to elaborate since lives are potentially at risk.

Assuming something blows out due to the test, I assume you would replace that part.  Keep in mind that the failed part is just the weakest link in the chain.  In other words, it sacrificed itself before other weak parts would have failed.  Always perform the hard/harder test again after parts replacement.  Once the weakest link is gone, there is always a new weak link.

Inspect or even dissect the failed part.  For instance, if a hose failed from a physical injury from road debris or other accident, it might leave you confident the other hoses are safe.  That is always a "maybe."  However, if it failed due to corrosion or some age related issue, all the hoses and lines are suspect and should be replaced.  Yes, it is an expense and a PITA but your life and the lives of others are dependent on safe brakes.

A few years back, one of the caliper seals on my Bronco's front disk brakes blew when I hit the brakes hard due to an idiot on the highway.  There was no warning and it was a real "adrenaline moment."  I still had the rear brakes but they were out of adjustment.  I coasted and barely stopped in time.  Of course, I replaced both calipers.  However, I should have also replaced the rear wheel cylinders at the same time.  One of those blew out a few months later.  It wasn't an "adrenaline moment" like before but I had to replace perfectly good brake shoes due to the fluid all over the place.

This is very important ... Single master cylinder systems are inherently dangerous.  Dual cylinder systems have relatively isolated front and rear brake systems.  Thankfully, my Bronco had a dual system.  Most of our Corvairs have single master cylinders.  At the time of manufacture, they were considered "adequate."  Here is a perfectly plausible scenario with a single cylinder system.  Between seals, hoses, lines and fittings, there are dozens of potential leak points.  If just ONE leak point goes, ALL braking is compromised.  In effect, not one of the four wheels will slow your car.  You can and should replace the single master cylinder with a dual master cylinder.  Other than the master cylinder, the rest of the brake hoses, etc. remain as before so it won't be that difficult or expensive to change over.

Happy (and safe) motoring,

Doc