<VV> Oil temperature?

Seth Emerson sethracer at aol.com
Wed Oct 25 03:16:05 EDT 2017

Sorry for the slightly slow response. It is also important to note where the sender for the gauge is located. That tells us "which" oil is at that temp. In the pan or coming out of the oil cooler (meaning entering the bearings). Most importantly, though is what kind of oil?  Most conventional oils would be happier under 250F. The synthetics can deal with higher temps. This is from "The Hot Rod Network: "A quality conventional motor oil will tolerate oil sump temperatures of up to 250 degrees, but starts breaking down over 275 degrees. The traditional approach is to try to hold oil temperatures between 230 and 260 degrees.  A full-synthetic oil will withstand sump temperatures in excess of 300 degrees, and for hard-core professional racing, some oval-track race teams are experimenting with ultra-thin, specially formulated, race-only synthetics operating at 350 degrees or even higher."

Note That he says hold it between 230 and 260. Not down at 200!  The thought is that around 230, the engine will rid itself of any water condensed into the oil in the crankcase, boiling it into the crankcase ventilation system.

I hope you enjoy all the varying responses. Good Luck.

Seth Emerson