<VV> Anyone know what liquid or oil is in the Late Corvair, convertible vibration dampeners?

Dale Dewald d66dewald at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 22:52:37 EDT 2017

Hello Larry,

On 9/5/2017 02:31, Larry Forman wrote:
> I recently purchased from a private party a set of Late Corvair
> convertible vibration dampeners, but two of them are leaking the oil
> from them.  I think I need to drain them, seal the leaks and then
> refill.   I am not sure what liquid or oil should be used to replenish
> any loss.   Any help appreciated.
My thought would be to use ordinary hydraulic oil, like what would be 
used in the hydraulic system of a tractor or heavy equipment. You can 
get this at any farm store, FLAPS or even Wal-Mart.   It is commonly 
sold in three viscosity ranges; ISO-32, ISO-46, and ISO-68 which 
correspond to about SAE 10W, 20W and 30 [straight weight] motor oils.  
It is interesting to note that the SAE gear lube numbers overlap, with a 
70W gear lube about the same viscosity as 10W motor oil.  As such ISO-68 
is about equivalent to SAE-80W gear oil.  The current DEXRON VI ATF is 
about ISO-29, or somewhat thinner than SAE 10W.

I suggest pouring some measured quantity of the damper oil through a 
small funnel, timing how long it takes, then do the same with several 
grades of motor oil you might have on the shelf.  Get the hydraulic oil 
that seems to be the best match.  Let us know if it is much thicker or 

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

More information about the VirtualVairs mailing list