<VV> non-Corvair question...

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Sep 15 23:29:53 EDT 2017

Blue Point makes some drive in tools that look like Torx bits to remove
broken bolts. I see where the idea came from.:-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-POINT-SCREW-EXTRACTOR-SET-NO-1020/322736434552?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D5c9ef82080af4d4e8db76ded7fbbc2ac%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D311946416091&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726

My first go to tool for smaller screws or non-rusty bolts is a left
handed drill bit. Sometimes it snags the bolt and unscrews the problem. Yay!

Snap-On makes them, machine shop tool suppliers sell them, and I am
having real good luck with the ones I bought at Harbor freight!

On larger bolts, I go with the MIG weld a nut over the bolt. Works great
on rusty fasteners. Quenching with water helps also. Broken part gets
thrown away, so who cares if the hardness changes to brittle? The shock
to the rust is good.

On Corvair exhaust manifolds here in the rusty east, I just saw off the
broken stud and drill a 5/16" hole to tap a new set of 3/8-16 threads. I
gave up ever trying to remove broken rusted exhaust studs out here on
Corvair manifolds.

Frank DuVal