<VV> 1968 Corvair Monza 140 4speed Convertible for sale: September 23 Update - car is now driveable

Jack Kean jkean at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 23 21:02:33 EDT 2017

This is the second post associated with the sale of my 1968 Corvair
Monza 140 4 speed Convertible.

The sale price remains at $5000.

This post is being made on Facebook (on the Corvair Owners, and the
Corvair Racers Groups), and the VirtualVairs, and the CorvairCenter
Forums. The original post is at the end of this post. I've tried to
include answers in this post from some of the questions that were posed
on the original posts here.

2 sets of pictures are posted at the Imgur site:

1) posted on September 21, 2017 at: https://imgur.com/a/6yZhT

2) posted after I drove the car out of the garage on September 23, 2017
at: https://imgur.com/gallery/8ykZf#

Videos taken of the car while the engine was running on Saturday,
September 23, 2017 will be posted on the Corvair Owners Group and
Corvair Racers page.

I will send pictures and videos if individually requested to a valid
email address.

September 23, 2017 Update:

I spent a couple of hours this morning (9/23/17) on the car. The battery
seems to be holding a charge after being on a slow charger for the past
week. I verified that the fuel pump was working, and put a dummy
distributor in and pumped oil in the engine (around 40+ PSI for around 5
minutes). I then cracked a fuel line and flushed some of the gas out of
the system. Then I ran the fuel pump until both primary carburetor
accelerator pumps began to squirt gas (got to love Stabil Marine fuel
stabilizer keeping the gas ok for over 4 1/2 years of non use!). Finally
I plugged the distributor back in and the car fired after about 3
rotations of the crank. Once warmed up, I verified that the car would
move and stop and drove it around the block a couple of times. All
systems are functional. The alternator is charging and the battery seems
to be holding a charge. All instruments in the Corsa dash (tach, speedo,
Cylinder Head Temperature, vacumn gauge, and the clock) are working, as
are the Autometer oil pressure, oil temperature, and voltage gauges. Hot
air exhaust doors are functional.

This car is now driveable, but will need work before it is truly road
worthy.

Things that are on the car that were not included in the original post are:

- Otto parts pan, extended pickup, and valve covers

- fiberglass front air dam

- Koni rear shocks

- secondary oil pressure gauge in engine compartment

- I have been finding more new and used parts in the garage that I will
include with the car. Other items (that I just purchased but did not
use, such as 5 quarts of Amsoil 10w40 oil and a Wix filter) can be
included with the car for a small fraction of what I just paid for them.

Sorry this is such a long post. Please do not hesitate to post comments,
or to email me directly at: jkean at sbcglobal.net

Someone needs to be driving this car when it turns 50.

best regards,

jack kean

Arlington, Texas - September 23, 2017

The first post (posted on September 18, 2017) is below:

1968 Corvair 140 4 speed Convertible for Sale; Repainted with factory
Evening Orchid

Bought to become a daily driver 13 years ago. Plan was to finish it with
rebuilt suspension/steering/brakes, but life (family, then cancer) got
in the way.

Originally built by John Polacchi (Manton, California) with a slight
custom applied (gas filler in trunk, door latches replaced with buttons
from 49 Lincoln, some removal of trim). I picked it up from a third
party near Santa Barbara California with a "fresh" locally built engine,
and new convertible top. A good 25 foot car. Always garaged. Have some
of the history of the car from the original owner.

Car devoured the OT10 cam shortly after I purchased it in 2004, which
abruptly changed my plans. Sat in my garage for a number of years, then
underwent rebuild of engine (with some advice from the late Ed Corson):
  - 10/10 nitrided crank, 040 Forged pistons, recon rods with Arp bolts,
h/p oil pump, deep seat heads (Fumio Fukaya), new valve train, including
NOS factory 304 cam, balanced, real Dale distributor with Pertronix,
SafeGuard knock control system, deflashed, all oil passages deburred and
cleaned up (case halves, rear housing, crankshaft, ...), rebuilt
carburetors, high output alternator, new plug wires, mounts and
bushings. Probably more stuff than I remember at this point. Never got
this engine completely sorted out.

New fuel tank, including all hoses and sender, and external front mount
electric fuel pump with inertia sensor and fuel pump controller (by
David Heath). Rebuilt pressure plate (Larry Claypool), real Dale bolted
flywheel, American aluminum 16" wheels with tires that no doubt will
need to be replaced. Factory adjustable column (pre-1968 version) with
decent wood steering wheel. 3.27 open differential, with Saginaw
transmission. Corsa dash (working clock and factory CHT), with Autometer
gauges below center console, plus dual CHT (still in box). The
non-factory interior is nothing to write home about. Top was new in 2004.

This is a complete car that ran and had proper registration/inspection
when I stopped driving it in 2013. This is not a barn find.
Engine/transaxle needs to be sorted then onto suspension, brakes,
steering and finally the interior. Most parts listed as new were
purchased and installed prior to 2010. The car has not been driven more
than a few thousand miles (or less) since then.

$5000 (a small fraction of what I have in it); includes all parts that I
have acquired and a correct CoverCraft Corvair car cover.

Second time I have sold everything and "left" the Corvair family (sold
everything I had in 1991 to Chris Langley). Car has always been garaged
in Arlington, Texas. I will find a picture or two and post them.

I need the space to park my new 435i convertible.

Someone needs to be driving this car when it turns 50.

Jack Kean Arlington, Texas