<VV> 61 3 to 4 spd Transmission swapping

Joe White jwcorvair at aol.com
Wed Aug 8 16:06:13 EDT 2018

Biggest challenge is that the four-speed gearbox is longer than the three speed. Your rear cross member has a notch for a three speed so, with the four speed your engine and four speed cannot fit. The cross member will need to have the flange on the back of the cross member cut off and the cross member rewelded where the flange was cut off. It’s a bit of work, but if you have a good welding torch it actually doesn’t take that long.

After you have modified the cross member everything is straight forward mechanical assembly. Just make sure that you have all of the parts that you need before you start.

Joe White

Sent from my iPhone