<VV> 1965 Monza Battery Lead Install?

Arlette Pat & Carl Kelsen arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 00:24:13 EST 2018

G’day everyone,
Today I connected a battery to our ‘65 Monza to start checking all the various electrical systems. As soon I connect the positive lead, which has a light gauge lead to ground / earth this lead over heated stated smoking and melting. Of I immediately disconnected it. No apparent damage apart from the ground wire itself.

Every book I have shows a ground / earth wire connected to the positive lead and the Negative has one also, but my Motor Electrician tells me this can not be right.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Regards from Australia
Carl Kelsen