<VV> Stuck valve cover bolt.

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Thu Feb 8 22:13:03 EST 2018

IF you have really boogered up this thing, and you cannot drill it out.. Why
not? Normally a 1/2-20 is pretty soft, unless you stuck a Grade 8 in there.
I am trying to understand how the head broke off. Over tighten? Too long and
it bottomed out over tightened? Previous person could have caused bolt to be
near failing.. That size bolt doesn't take much to turn it off.
Anyway, if all else fails, take it to a machine shop.  Yes, remove the head
and ask them to fix it.   Use a vertical mill and cut out bolt remainder.
Depending on damage, use a helicoil or thin sert or even a thick sert..
Or.... a machine shop can drill a bigger hole, insert a rod of aluminum, fix
it in place, then drill and tap. You can do this at home as well, IF you can
get the old one out.
Good Luck
Chuck S