<VV> Strange sound in rear

Jim corvair at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 13 13:24:20 EST 2018

Once, I was “tricked” by a rotational sound that I thought was coming from the passenger side rear of my ’69.  Thinking it was a wheel bearing, I replaced it.  [I had already replaced the u-joints.]  The sound was still there after taking it out for a test drive!  Having a friend drive the car, I sat in the passenger seat and stuck my head out the window with my left ear facing the front and right one facing the rear as we slowly
 drove through my suburban neighborhood.  Immediately, I heard the sound coming from the FRONT!  It was a bad passenger side front wheel bearing.  Moral:  Try to get a directional fix before attempting the “fix!”

Jim Bartasevich

I am one of the people who love the why of things. - Catherine the Great