<VV> Larry's low compression engine and the surprising reason for several issues

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Mon Jan 8 00:42:29 EST 2018

I pulled the left cylinders to measure cylinder taper and out of
round.   Both were within specs with taper reading from 1 to 4 mil and
out of round right at 1.5 mil.   Then I replaced the cylinders and had
time to really look at the engine and found a very surprising thing the
last shop did ... they replaced the normal stock raised plateau piston
in cylinder #4 with a FLAT one, no raised area at all.   I am sure with
that dramatically lower piston top the compression ratio and overall
compression would be a lot lower.   And that likely explains why the
engine did not want to idle balanced very well.  I suspected that they
might have done the same thing for cylinder #1, but the right side all
appear to be the raised plateau so that is somewhat of a relief.

Now I need to pull off the fan mount/engine cover so I can pull that #4
piston and cylinder.   Fortunately I have a set of used stock late
pistons and will need to check them carefully and move the rings and rod
over there and then I should be good to go.   I will need to carefully
mark the rings so they go on the same orientation (top to bottom) and
same location.  I know a couple of my used pistons have compressed ring
gaps, so they are likely out as possible replacements.  I just want to
ensure that the top does not come off my replacement piston, as I know
that has been an issue.

I was still waiting another week or more for the shop to complete the
valve seat and valve work as they suddenly got very busy during what is
normally their lull period.   That will give me plenty of time to get
the piston changed and get everything back ready for the cylinder head.

Now my feelings about that shop were really confirmed.

Larry