<VV> New Corvair Owner Needs Help

Brian bmoneill at juno.com
Wed Jan 24 17:17:54 EST 2018

My youngest grandson lives in South Carolina and is currently in his sophomore year at Clemson University.  While he was growing up he spent every summer here with us in New Jersey.  I used to tell people it was so that he could learn to speak English rather than southern.  While he was staying with us during the summers he attended about 10 CORSA conventions and a whole bunch of NECC track events.  He and his older brother enjoyed the conventions and the track events but were never really dedicated car nuts.  So you can imagine my surprise last summer while we were visiting the family in South Carolina that Sean announced that he wanted a Corvair and had saved up money to buy one.  After a lot of false starts looking at cars that were not bad but well beyond his capability I found one here in New Jersey that was in fabulous shape.  One of my local club members gave my grandson a great deal on this 1965 Monza coupe with a 4 speed transmission.  The engine started life as and 95 hp but had been rebuilt by a reputable guy here in New Jersey.  It has an ISKY cam and a solid flywheel.
Before I delivered it to South Carolina last Thanksgiving I went over the car with a fine tooth comb.  I changed the carburetors, new spark plugs, new tires, and anything else I could think of in order to make the car reliable.  It made the trip to South Carolina with only one issue and that was a squeaking pilot bushing.  Thanks to Spence Shepherd in Charlotte that was fixed and my grandson is now driving the car.
After the Christmas break he drove the car to Clemson and has been enjoying it and loving all the compliments he's gotten.  Last week he called me and said that he wanted to change the oil.  We spent a lot of time on the telephone and I walked him through it step-by-step to include the plastic bag around the old filter trick.  Today he attempted to do the oil change.  Everything went well except-- and there is always an except-- the drain plug on the oil pan would not tighten.  He reported to me that he could just keep turning it by hand.  He made a trip to the local FLAPS and bought both the new plug and  some sort of expandable one.  He was able to get the expandable one into the oil pan but was not happy with the way it worked.  He ran out of daylight so he put the car on the ground and slid some cardboard under the oil pan to see whether the plug would leak.  I don't remember whether it an aluminum oil pan but I think it is.
Now this neophyte Corvair owner is kind of in a bind.  Is there anyone out there near Clemson who could help this young man?  His name is Sean O'Neill and his cell phone number is 803-629-7279.  Some of you may have seen his postings on the Facebook Corvair Owners Group.  Any assistance would be very much appreciated.  Thanks.