<VV> Positraction or Open? Or what?

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 13:13:39 EDT 2018

I have not owned a Positraction car so I have no experience. I am working on a 1964 Monza PG with unknown innards (at some point it was converted from 4-speed to PG I think, among other things). I understood that if you jack the car up, put it in neutral, and rotate one wheel, if the other wheel rotates in the opposite direction it is an open differential, and if the other wheel rotates in the same direction it is a Positraction. On this car, if I rotate one wheel, the other wheel does not move. Same behavior regardless of which wheel I rotate. The stamping on the housing is "HC", which would be an open diff, but it could well be a housing with other than its native internals.
What does the observed rotation behavior mean?
Thanks!
-- Doug Mackintosh Corsa member since 1996 Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on