<VV> mouse nest in engine? KNOCK

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 14:53:07 EDT 2018

 Re : my 69 winter beater. I took it for a test ride yesterday  (95 degrees) and before I had gone 1 mile on local roads, I got a very heavy pre ignition knock not a ping. I checked the timing, it was right on target so I reduced it a couple of degrees. Some evidence of mouse activities are in engine compartment.

 Today another test drive, same problem.  I borrowed a bore scope and checked on top of the head through the fan and through the spark plug openings. No evidence of a nest.

 I suspect that there is a mouse nest on top of the cylinders in particular #5  The rubber spark plug gasket was cooked hard enough to break up in pieces.
 Is there any way to take a look from the bottom before I have to pull the turkey roaster off?  Lower shroud is easy to get off.