<VV> Hot

Jim Simpson simpson661 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 16:25:46 EDT 2018

I don't see any particular reason to change the oil.  Synthetics like Mobil
1 are good to pretty high temps --  according to their web site, the Mobil
1 oils can go to 500 F!  I suspect that's a "flash temp", not sustained
driving, but unless you melted a bearing or something, I doubt you've hurt
the oil.

The bigger issue is why did you get a overtemp warning light?  Even at 108
outside temp, the engine shouldn't overheat at any reasonable highway
speed.  Chevrolet tested the engines during development at higher temps and
speeds than that.

So check the cylinder head flashing, the fan belt, oil cooler to be sure
there's nothing blocking air flow.  And don't overlook the cylinder head
temp switch.  They've been known to go bad and trigger at lower than
specified temperatures.  (Do you have a cylinder head and/or oil temp
gauge?)

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair