<VV> freeing a stuck motor

JUDY HOOK judynrandy at comcast.net
Wed Jun 20 13:01:39 EDT 2018

The first question one has to ask is this:  WHY is the motor stuck?  There was a time when I would have attempted something like this, but after years of experience I don't do it anymore.  I just plan on taking it apart first.  The clincher in this decision was a "stuck" motor I got to build my "  '64 110 "  with.  It was a '67 110 from an AC car.  When it wouldn't budge,  I had no choice but to disassemble it.  The reason it wouldn't budge was because it had dropped a valve seat.  If it had turned over, who knows how much more death and destruction would have been wrought!

Upon disassembly it turned out that the crank, cam, and lifters were unscathed.  It also was a low mileage engine.

I also learned that no matter how stuck it is, there is always at least one connecting rod in a position to unbolt.  Once that is done,  you can turn it over just enough to get to the next one.  It get easier with each successive one.

Usually it also involves coaxing a couple cylinders out of the block because the rings are frozen to the cylinder.

Patience, tenacity, and caution are the operative words here.  It can be done.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook