<VV> Details re/ Deluxe seat belts

Jim Simpson simpson661 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 11:58:17 EDT 2018

This may be an odd question, but how is the webbing stitched on the late
model ('66 specifically) "Deluxe" seat belts tab end?  That is, is the
webbing folded on the tab end of the so it ends up against your body or
away from the body when the front seat belt is buckled?

I'm asking because I just got back my front seat belts from Ssnake-oyl
having had them refurbished.  They did a great job and the belts look at
least as good as, if not better than, new.  But when I installed them, I
noticed that the webbing on the tab end of the belt was folded and stitched
so the end of the webbing was on the "outside", that is, exposed and away
from your body.

It seems to me that it should be the other way around, that is, with the
end of the webbing "under" the belt and against your body.  If nothing
else, it would look better that way.

The Corvair front seat belt installation is a bit different than other cars
in that the tab belt is bolted with the base "out" toward the rocker
panel.  Most cars have the base "down" into the floor pan; that's the way
the buckle end of the belt is bolted.  In the Corvair installation, the
natural lay of the tab part of the belt puts the side of the webbing that
at the base faces "out", "up".  If it were bolted flat on the floor, the
webbing would make a small twist and put the "down" side "down" against the
person's body.

It seems like a small point, but I'm wondering if Ssnake-oyl got it wrong
on these belts.

So if anyone has some original Deluxe belts, could you take a look at the
tab end and see which way the webbing goes when the belt is fastened?  Does
the end go through the tab and then down and against your body or does it
pass through the tab and end up stitched on top away from your body?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair