<VV> 65’ Monza Convert. top restoration

Arlette Pat & Carl Kelsen arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 24 23:13:19 EST 2018

G’day everyone,
Can I ask everyone for some advice please. I am about to commence the complete restoration and re-installation of the power soft top on our 1965 right hand drive Monza convertible.

To date I have:
1/ LH / RH GEARBOXES
Disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and re-lubed both side gearboxes (if that is the correct name for them?). I have re-installed both of these gearboxes on the car and have been very careful to install, position / locate them in the exact same adjustment positions that they were removed from.

2/ POWER TOP CABLES
Cleaned, re-lubed and re-installed the two cables that connect from the gearboxes to centrally mounted (behind the rear seat) electric motor that will power the soft top.

My next intended steps:
1/ FABRIC TOP MATERIAL
I plan to remove the original aged soft top covering from the frame and while doing this take lots of close up photos showing how the original top was originally attached to the frame.

I am planning to take these photos as I expect these photos may be a valuable reference tool for the person I will get to install the replacement Clarks Corvair supplied soft top.

2/ FRAME OPTIONS & MY QUESTIONS
(A) Powder coat.
‘Ideally’ I would like to completely disassemble the convertible top frame. Then clean and Power Coat each individual part. Then reassembled the freshly power coated frame parts and then assemble the complete frame back on our car.

My concern is that if do this will I loose the factory adjustment / assembly of the frame? Is this likely or am I worrying about a problem that might not exist?

(B) Paint
If maintaining the factory assembly of the frame is important then perhaps I should leave the frame assembled, simply degrease it as a complete unit, repaint as required and re-lub before installing back on our car.

The frame is in excellent condition, is not rusty but I would like it better than perfect before fitting it back on our car.

Any advice on the above would be welcomed as this is the first convertible I have had anything to do with.

Kind regards from Australia (down under)
Carl Kelsen
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1965 RHD MONZA CONVERTIBLE